In the light of the murder of an American woman in Turkey, The Women's Travel Group shares tips for the woman traveler. The Group is a tour operator and advocates for safety for women.
The Women's Travel Group has organized tours for women since 1992. Their Travel Tips for Women are often used by corporations and other women's organizations. Below are tips which apply if you are traveling solo as was the American woman, Sarai Sierra.
1. Check street safety in the English language newspaper of your destination. There are many sites with lists of these local papers and there is one for Turkey.
2. Use Google translation to understand news in other languages before you leave.
3. Check not just US, but also UK, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand Foreign Ministry news reports.
4. If you go out with anyone you do not know extremely well, make them leave their national identity card with a contact. Most people are reluctant to depart from their id cards, and this will separate the baddies quickly.
5. Check out your destination with a contact from your church , charity, on line group of women who will tell you the truth.
6. Talk to cabin staff and women on your flight for excellent information.
7. Do not give out your real last name to anyone you do not know well.
8. If there are no women around, that is a warning to go back to your room/hotel. When in doubt, stand with other women especially if they have children along.
9. Know your map well and do not stand on a corner studying it; rather have a coffee and read it discreetly.
10. Put away your American ebullience. Out of the US most people are reserved and chattiness from women is a sign of immorality.
These travel safety tips are offered by The Women's Travel Group at www.thewomenstravelgroup.com, a longstanding tour operator for women's smart trips. 20 Years of tours have compiled these and other Travel Tips for Women.